Leadership Kauai - 2015
1. Model The Way
2. Inspire A Shared Vision
3. Challenge The Process
4. Enable Others To Act
5. Encourage The Heart
Practice These Behaviors In Order To Be A Great Leader
Model The Way Behaviors
1. I set personal example of what I expect of others
2. I spend time and energy making certain that the people I work with adhere to the principles and standards we have agreed on.
3. I follow through on promises and commitments that I make.
4. I ask for feedback on how my actions affect other people's performance.
5. I build consensus around a common set of values for running our organization.
6. I am clear about my philosophy of leadership.
Inspire A Shared Vision
1. I talk about future trends that will influence how our work gets done.
2. I describe a compelling image of what our future could be like.
3. I appeal to others to share an exciting dream of the future.
4. I show others how their long-term interests can be realized by enlisting in a common vision.
5. I paint the "big picture" of what we aspire to accomplish.
6. I speak with genuine conviction about the higher meaning and purpose of our work.
Challenge The Process
1. I seek out challenging opportunities that test my own skills and abilities.
2. I challenge people to try out new and innovative ways to do their work.
3. I search outside the formal boundaries of my organization for innovative ways to improve what we do.
4. I ask "what can we learn?" when things don't go as expected.
5. I make certain that we set achievable goals, make concrete plans, and establish measurable milestones for the projects and programs that we work on.
6. I experiment and take risks, den when there is a chance of failure.
Enable Others To Act
1. I develop cooperative relationships among the people I work with.
2. I actively listen to diverse points of view.
3. I treat others with dignity and respect.
4. I support the decisions that people make on their own.
5. I give people a great deal of freedom and choice in deciding how to do their work.
6. I ensure that people grow in their jobs by learning new skills and developing themselves.
Encourage The Heart
1. I praise people for a job well done.
2. I make it a point to let people know about my confidence in their abilities.
3. I make sure that people are creatively rewarded for their contributions to the success of our projects.
4. I publicly recognize people who exemplify commitment to shared value.
5. I find ways to celebrate accomplishments.
6. I give the members of the team lots of appreciation and support for their contributions.
Ten Tips For Becoming A Better Leader
1. Be self-aware
2. Manage your emotions
3. Seek feedback
4. Take initiative
5. Engage a coach
6. Set goals and make a plan
7. Practice, practice, practice
8. Measure progress
9. Reward yourself
10. Be honest with yourself and humble with others